On 7/18/07, Paulo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> No to mention a good blog app that people can standardize on would be
> a nice alternative to Wordpress[1] and Simplelog[2]. Having one would
> definitely be helpful in the "spreading the word about Django"
> department.

I'm not entirely disinterested since I've been working on rewriting my
own blogging application to be released open source, but...

I think part of the reason that there isn't a "standard" blog
application built on Django is simply the fact that it's so easy --
it's quite literally a couple dozen lines of code to get a simple blog
application. A model for entries and a URLConf which routes to generic
views are all the Python you need to write, and then the generic views
and bundled applications in django.conrtrib -- admin, auth and
comments -- will do the rest. And if you want something more, it's
generally easier to be writing your own custom code from the start so
you can tailor things exactly how you want them.

Rails doesn't offer those sorts of components (from what I know of the
development team's choices, it's largely a philosophical matter, much
as we don't offer tight integration of a JavaScript toolkit), which
means that it's easier and more efficient for Rails users to
standardize on and contribute code to a single application which can
implement all the necessary bits.

So I'm not necessarily convinced that there's a great need for a
"standard" Django blog application; it would appease some folks, but I
have a feeling that in the Django world a lot of people really would
be happier, in the long run, writing their own app that does what they
need (trying to encourage that is one reason why I keep spinning off
bits of code from my blog into standalone applications -- when I do
eventually finish my rewrite and release everything, I'd like people
to be able to pick and choose the bits they want).