On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 09:53:02AM -0400, Forest Bond wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 05, 2007 at 11:46:45PM -0500, James Bennett wrote:
> >
> > On 8/5/07, john <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > thks - the tutorial shows the .py extension and that was giving the
> > > error.
> >
> > The file's name is 'django-admin.py', not 'django-admin', and the
> > tutorial is correct; the problem was that you did not have the
> > executable bit set on django-admin.py, and so you did not have
> > permission to execute that file from the command line.
>
> The Ubuntu package ships a django-admin executable.  I'm not sure if it is
> just
> a symlink to django-admin.py, or if it is django-admin.py renamed.  This is to
> achieve compliance with Debian policy, which (I believe) recommends against
> extensions like .py on commands.

Absolutely correct:
        http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-files.html#s-scripts

Because the django-admin script is put in to /usr/bin, it needs to
follow Debian policy! However - for the people that *really* want to use
django-admin.py, you can do:
        export PATH=$PATH:/usr/lib/python-django/bin

Which holds the various django bin files.

Cheers,
--
Brett Parker