El mar, 11-09-2007 a las 12:26 -0700, Jonas escribió:
> Before that someone starts working about this, you must consider this:
>
> 1. It's already has been created a project with that intention. Its
> name is capystrano [1] and althought has been not uploaded code -he
> could be working offline-, it would be best contact with its author to
> doesn't duplicate work.
>
> 2. If you think that capistrano -the original tool built with Ruby- is
> very complex, has been built a similar tool but more simple. It has
> been built too with Ruby in *only 4 days* and its name is Vlad the
> Deployer [2] [3].
>
> 3. Has been created Webistrano [4], a Web UI for managing Capistrano
> deployments, and after to see the screencasts I would ask myself if
> the effort is worth the trouble to implement a tool thus when it would
> be possible to customize capistrano to deploy Django and then to use
> Webistrano.
>

> [1] http://code.google.com/p/capystrano/
> [2] http://www.infoq.com/news/2007/08/vlad-the-deployer
> [3] http://rubyhitsquad.com/Vlad_the_Deployer.html
> [4] http://blog.innerewut.de/webistrano/

I appreciate the time you have taken to gather that information, Jonas.
You must know, that I do not intend to "clone" capistrano, thus
capystrano (beside knowing nothing about it's owner or how to contact
him) is not my path. I do *not* think capistrano is overly complex. I
believe it can be improved by our love for python. As for webistrano, I
have planned a module that integrates with the admin interface.

I think this has been misunderstood. I do not try to make "capistrano
for django", as capystrano does. It's tagline says just that. While the
approach is similar to capistrano, the path is very different. One of
the key pieces will be schema evolution. The other piece will be the
task book. Think of a cooking book of recipes for capistrano (or better,
don't. It's a very simplistic idea of the application.).

As for Vlad, this may be offending, but for "simple", I use a set of
bash scripts. You've already seen a bit of them, Jonas. You should know.

I know it's possible to use Capistrano with Django. However, I happen to
severely dislike Ruby, and thus, I'd like to avoid using it. I use
Django for that sole reason. Why stick with Capistrano? Someone has to
make the first move.

Again, thank you for pointing me to that resources, Jonas. I really
appreciate the time you have taken.