Although I think this view is mostly true at the moment I have a
feeling that it will change in the near future.

The admin pages are currently fairly customisable and newforms-admin
expands this capability extensively.

The problem is two-fold:
1. Documentation in this area is fairly weak and a lot of the
customization involves subclassing Django classes etc. Currently the
only way to understand this is to read the Django source - as readable
as it is this is a whole level of complexity beyond that needed to use
Django's standard features.

2. newforms-admin isn't quite ready yet - although it's getting very
close.

I decided to go down this route myself instead of writing my own CRUD.
I am beginning to think I jumped the gun by a few months. There are
still a few rough edges and it's hard to get answers when you are
stuck as not many people are using Django Admin in this way. I'm
nearly there although the fact that my users are will be fairly
trustworthy has enabled me to cut a few corners that wouldn't be
appropriate on a public website.

Do have a look at what is possible in Admin simply by overriding the
basic templates. The fact that you can do this on a model by model
basis is extremely powerful in itself.

Andy