I would like to put together a piece of code that will test the
referer for each request and if it matches a predefined pattern it
would log that request as well as place a cookie on the client.

Is custom middleware the correct place to do this?

Also, I'm not exactly clear how response.set_cookie() works.  If I set
a cookie in the middleware during a request, will it be passed to the
client on the next response?

Thanks,

Steve