I was in a similar situation a few months ago. The GeoDjango branch
api is really handy and I was hoping to use it on some models that
were sitting in a 0.96 release. We definitely couldn't go with the
unstable branch for our production environment so I ended up just
writing a few custom sql queries in my models to set the geometry
properties on textfields instead. One of my methods triggered by the
save method goes something like this:

    def set_geom_properties(self):
        """
        triggered by save method we set some geom properties
        that we don't want to calculate everytime from postgis
        """
        if self.polygon:
            center = ''#get centroid of area
            cursor = connection.cursor()
            geom_q = """
                select geometryfromtext('POLYGON((%s))',4269);
                """ % (self.polygon)
            cursor.execute(geom_q)
            geom = cursor.fetchone()[0]
            self.geom = geom
            centroid_q = """
                select x(centroid(transform(GeomFromEWKT('%s'),
4269))) as longitude, y(centroid(transform(GeomFromEWKT('%s'), 4269)))
as latitude
                """ % (geom,geom)
            cursor.execute(centroid_q)
            lon, lat = cursor.fetchone()
            self.centroid = "%f, %f" % (lat,lon)

When GeoDjango makes it into a stable release I will definitely use it
and just modify my code a little bit. Its also nice to know how to
setup your own geometry columns in postgis and do the queries.

-Matt