> Anurag, Thanks.  That worked for me too.  But it's hardly a solution.
> Now I can't use admin.  I want both.  Is that asking too much?  Has
> anyone else any ideas?

OK, I've solved all my problems.  It was my mistake.  For some reason,
I had these two lines in urls.py in the reverse order:

    (r'^admin/doc/', include('django.contrib.admindocs.urls')),
    (r'^admin/(.*)', admin.site.root),

Now I can have a public and admin interface, whether or not I use a
separate admin.py file.  Sorry to have bothered you.  It seems generic
views work after all!  But it was useful for me to learn about
admin.py - it seems a good idea to use a separate admin.py file.

Rodney