Hey there,

I am running Django testing server on Dreamhost as well, and I can
tell you it works fine. So I am sure you are probably just
misconfiguring something.

Like AndyB said, .htaccess needs to pass the URL to your dispatch.fcgi
on the dreamhost server, all of your django projects and folders needs
to be in the PYTHON path, not actually under the public viewable
domain directory. Take my directory structure for example.

/home/USER/
  -      local/lib/django   - django main project files
  -      django_projects  - my application code
  -      django_templates - my django templates
  -      beta.mysite.com  - actual public viewable area serving static
files

Hope that helps.

Good luck,
Blu3ness