On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 23:05 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Sorry about the inconsistency but just to be clear, here is what I
> have:
>
> Dreamhost directory structure:
>
> TEMPLATE_DIRS = (
>     # Put strings here, like "/home/html/django_templates" or "C:/www/
> django/templates".
>     # Always use forward slashes, even on Windows.
>     # Don't forget to use absolute paths, not relative paths.
>       '/home/USERNAME/projects/django_templates/SITENAME/polls',

Which is nothing like what you posted originally. So I'll wager this
isn't what you have on Dreamhost at all, but an approximation, which
introduces yet more errors (for example, the use of "USERNAME" and
"SITENAME" -- they really aren't helping). Construct a realistic local
example that fails in the same way where you can cut-and-paste the
precise string without changing anything so that further errors aren't
introduced and this might go faster.

> within this directory:
> - index.html
> - base.html
>
> local directory structure:
>
> TEMPLATE_DIRS = (
>     # Put strings here, like "/home/html/django_templates" or "C:/www/
> django/templates".
>     # Always use forward slashes, even on Windows.
>     # Don't forget to use absolute paths, not relative paths.
>         '/home/USERNAME/django_projects/django_templates/polls',

Since your original view tries to load a template called
polls/index.html, this implies that inside the django_templates/polls/
directory you have *another* directory called polls/ containing
index.html. It sounds like you need to remove the polls/ piece at the
end here.

Regards,
Malcolm