hmm...I modified the root as you suggested but still the same results:
I get the admin page minus any stylesheets, etc.

I'm confused though: what exactly is the ADMIN_MEDIA_PREFIX prefixing?

 It seems that the setting tacks "/media" to the end of root path as a
way of defining where the server should search for media.

But if the "media" directory is being appended to the end of the path,
why is it called a prefix?