On Jan 4, 2009, at 8:00 PM, HB wrote:

> Here is the full traceback:
> +++
> Environment:
>
> Request Method: GET
> Request URL: http://localhost:8000/admin/
> Django Version: 1.0.2 final
> Python Version: 2.5.2
> Installed Applications:
> ['django.contrib.auth',
> 'django.contrib.contenttypes',
> 'django.contrib.sessions',
> 'django.contrib.sites',
> 'django.contrib.admin',
> 'djdrive.books']
> Installed Middleware:
> ()

You weren't kidding, you've got no middleware installed. The default
values should be:

("django.contrib.sessions.middleware.SessionMiddleware",
"django.contrib.auth.middleware.AuthenticationMiddleware",
  "django.middleware.common.CommonMiddleware",
"django.middleware.doc.XViewMiddleware")
try that, and things might work.

> Traceback:
> File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py"
> in get_response
>  86.                 response = callback(request, *callback_args,
> **callback_kwargs)
> File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/contrib/admin/sites.py"
> in root
>  140.         if not self.has_permission(request):
> File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/contrib/admin/sites.py"
> in has_permission
>  99.         return request.user.is_authenticated() and
> request.user.is_staff
>
> Exception Type: AttributeError at /admin/
> Exception Value: 'WSGIRequest' object has no attribute 'user'
> +++
>
> I'm new to Django and I'm reading "The Definitive Guide to Django"
> which seems to me too out dated...

Yep, quite a lot has changed since that book was written...

Yours,
Eric