Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:

>On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 14:33 +0100, Gertjan Klein wrote:
>> Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
>>
>> I disagree. When I develop web pages (using Django or otherwise) I use
>> the Firefox HTML validator extension. This helps me write
>> standards-compliant HTML -- a big red cross indicates a problem in my
>> page. It is annoying if that big red cross no longer indicates anything
>> (there might be problems *I* caused, or it might just be Django stuff).
>
>You realise that you're effectively confirming what I said, right?. The
>big red cross is a cosmetic issue. The fact that it makes precisely zero
>difference to the practical matter of how a real-world web browser
>processes the page means it's not fatal/tragic.

No, I think you may have misunderstood me. The XHTML slash is cosmetic;
to my knowledge, all current browsers are capable of dealing with that
(thus deviating from what the standard dictates them to do, but
practicality beats purity, I guess ;)).

However, *my* HTML (as opposed to Django's generated HTML) may contain
errors as well, and regularly does. The big red cross in an invaluable
indicator that I messed something up, and losing that functionality is
annoying. Now, when using HTML as opposed to XHTML, I can no longer see
if I did something wrong, as the page is *always* in error (from a
standards compliance POV).

>Then you'll have no trouble creating a parallel set of form widgets or a
>form framework that can handle this and everybody will be happy. :-)

No, I have no desire to do such a thing. As I stated before, the
practical solution for me was to switch to XHTML.

>Or look at the django-html project on Google Code, where various ideas
>are being tried out.

I did, briefly, and didn't like what I saw. They overcomplicate things,
IMHO. I don't want DOCTYPE management, for example.

>(you're certainly paid just as much to work on Django as me, for
>example).

This payment thing comes up regularly here, and pollutes the discussion.
I have been using Django for a while, and found it to have good things
and downsides (both IMHO). I have not even critisized Django here (yet
;)), just expressed mild curiousity. I don't think I've given you reason
to bring up that you're not payed for your work on Django.

>Maintaining two copies of everything certainly adds to the workload.

I have not suggested such thing though. From a brief look at the source
code, it appeared to me that it would be easy to create a setting that
specifies whether to include the slash or not, and based on that setting
write either " />" or ">" at the end of input tags (and <br>). However,
like I said, I have not researched this thouroughly, and I most
certainly have not requested the Django developers to implement this. I
may have overlooked more complicated things, and besides, if I wanted
this badly I'd try and write it myself and if successfull, attempt to
get it included in Django.

Regards,
Gertjan.