First, thanks for the responses. Second, to answer the questions:

1.
> - how would you like to handle (or not-handle) overlapping
> ranges?  ("100 ..150, 120, 145-155")

as above, in order, lowest number in range first

2.
> - are ranges always specified the same way? (".." vs. "-")

According to what works best, they will be specified either .. or -
but not both. I prefer the .. (from Perl and Ruby) but I know it isn't
used in Python.

3.
> - do you need to be able to sort the contents by page number?
> (and how does that interplay with overlapping ranges if allowed?)

yes, and see 1 above

4.
> - do you need to be able to find whether a given page is within the range of
> listed pages?

no

5.
> - are page numbers always integers?  (think Roman numerals used
> in pre-text matter, or appendices with page numbers like "B-13")

at the moment, yes, but good reminder to think of a more flexible
solution - they may not always be. For now - i.e. my immediate need -
they are always numerical (apart from the range separator .. or - )

> A couple thoughts occur to me:

[snip example]

> Granted, many of these bits may not matter to you, but if you need the
> flexibility of any of them, the others come for free.
>
> Just a few pre-breakfast rambling thoughts...

It'll be a few days at least before I get back to the project (my
first real-world site in Django), so I'll check back here forst and
implement the above if nothing else is suggested. Thanks again :-)

- Dave