I could suggest you creating the json manually (this is bad if you
plan to scale you app) or make the dictionary with the necessary data
and then serialize it.
i.e
users = [{'user': l.user.name, 'status': l.status} for l in
ActiveList.objects.all()]
Also it would be probably better idea to add the status attribute to
the User model itself (by adding the profile information, see Django
Topics; with some 'O' for Offline) and changing the queryset to
User.objects.exclude(status='O')