On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Russell Keith-Magee <freakboy3...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Ryan K<ryankas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Yea...it would be so elegant too! Here is a "bug" filing:
> > http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/5390. It's been open for two
> > years....
>
> A little history may help explain why this has been open for so long.
>
> Historically (i.e., when dinosaurs roamed the Django source code)
> signals were _very_ expensive - even signals that had no listeners. As
> a result, there was a lot of resistance to adding new signals. Given
> the performance cost, the decision was made to live without m2m
> signals.
>
> Just prior to v1.0, the signal framework was updated, which made
> signals much faster. However, in an attempt to actually hit the
> deadline for getting 1.0 out the door, adding new signals wasn't on
> the plan.
>
> Adding new signals was discussed as a possible feature for v1.1 (see
> the features page [1]); however, nobody took charge of getting it
> done, and other development priorities took over. The feature deadline
> arrived before anyone got around to implementing (and integrating) the
> change.
>
> When the v1.2 development cycle starts, I'm sure this will be back on
> the schedule again.
>
> [1] http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/Version1.1Features
>
> Yours,
> Russ Magee %-)

The best way now to get this feature is to use an intermediary model which
obviously get's its own signals.  Additionally I've been working on
refactoring m2ms to always use an intermediary model, thus signals would
always be sent.

Alex

say it." -- Voltaire
"Code can always be simpler than you think, but never as simple as you want"
-- Me