Hallöchen!

blaine writes:

> [...]
>
> My question: Has anyone used (or heard of using) a Django-powered
> application as a quick and powerful frontend to a scientific
> database?

My scientific institute is about to create a database for the
samples (thin silicon layers) produced here.  We have already 15.000
lines of Django code, which is half of the way I estimate.

We use MatPlotLib for visualising measurements of the samples, and
this works really great.  It's important for us -- and in my opinion
in general -- that the plots are generated from raw data, taken from
shared directories.  When there is a request for a plot (i.e. a PDF
or PNG file) but it is missing, MatPlotLib is called and the
graphics are stored in the static area for future use.

With Django's terrific i18n support, it was very easy to offer
variants of the plots for every language.

However, so far, the database is closed source.  I hope that this
changes within the next six months or so.  Then, I plan to split the
institute-specific part away and publish the rest as a
framework-in-a-framework.  Is anybody interested in building a small
community around it?  In particular, an adaption to a specific
institution would need ca. 10.000 LOC, but an "apparatus library" of
re-usable components could help with that significantly.

Tschö,
Torsten.

                   Jabber ID: torsten.bron...@jabber.rwth-aachen.de
                                  or http://bronger-jmp.appspot.com