On Aug 3, 1:31 pm, Torsten Bronger <bron...@physik.rwth-aachen.de>
wrote:
> Hallöchen!
>
> blaine writes:
> > [...]
>
> > My question: Has anyone used (or heard of using) a Django-powered
> > application as a quick and powerful frontend to a scientific
> > database?
>
> My scientific institute is about to create a database for the
> samples (thin silicon layers) produced here.  We have already 15.000
> lines of Django code, which is half of the way I estimate.
>
>  Is anybody interested in building a small
> community around it?  In particular, an adaption to a specific
> institution would need ca. 10.000 LOC, but an "apparatus library" of
> re-usable components could help with that significantly.

Torsten

I work in a science research organisation and would be interested.
The only downside would the volume of code you estimate is needed.
10k/30k is about 1/3 that needs rewriting for each organisation? That
sounds very high.  Maybe once the dust settles on this project and
the refactoring can be done, the re-usability will be higher?

I'd think that there would be many in universities and "open science"
organisations (as opposed to proprietary research companies) that
could help with such an effort.

It's also clear that some thought will need to go into this "up front"
in
order to maximise reuse of code.

My 2c
Derek