Thanks, Malcolm!

I filed the ugettext_lazy problem under #11701 and attached a patch
that fixes it by using force_unicode() on the format in DateWidget.

FWIW, users could also workaround this thing by using their forms
__init__, like so:

def __init__(self, *args, **kwargs):
        super(SomeForm, self).__init__(*args, **kwargs)
        self.fields['some_date'].widget.format = ugettext_lazy('%d.%m.
%Y')

Seems, the __proxy__ then already is a string/unicode when reaching
the widgets formatting method.