On Wed, 2009-08-12 at 14:24 +0200, Thomas Guettler wrote:
> Hi Malcolm and others,
>
> Malcolm Tredinnick schrieb:
[...]

> > You already have the content type table for referring to other model
> > objects. Why not use that so that you can maintain some referential
> > integrity?
>
> Content Types use serial keys. Take something like a ticket system:
> Serial keys are good for the tickets. But if you have something like a
> TicketTypeModel it is not a good solution. The customer uses the live
> system and can create new TicketTypes. But during the same time,
> I might create new TicketTypes in my development system. The serial IDs clash.

Ah, ok. So you'll end up with something like your own version of the
content type system. Makes sense. Providing your model names are going
to be different from your customer's developed versions, your plan makes
sense.

> And the TicketTypes or (Workflow-Models) need to be installable for several
> customers.

This is the only reason I would be tempted not to just use the import
path. You really want to namespace the identifiers and model names might
clash if they're common enough. I would be very tempted to prefix some
identifier with a customer-specific identifier (as a development
recommendation, not enforced in the code). So you identifiers would be
"tg_<something>" and your customer 1 might use "aa_<something>", etc.
The prefix used to generate the ids could even be a setting if you could
auto-create the ids from the model name/import path.

But I might be over-engineering this. You understand your target
audience -- particularly the number and habits of the target audience --
better than me. So this is just me thinking out loud.

Regards,
Malcolm