> I personally don't have any experience with PostgreSQL and I'm generally
> working in a mixed MS and Linux environment. I'm interested to hear peoples
> views on the pluses and minuses of the two different systems. I'm a bit of a
> query geek too. How does that play in? I know in MySQL there are limitations
> on where you can use subqueries. Is that true with PostgreSQL? (Ya I could
> just look that one up but it's just an example.)

I did a writeup of MySQL vs. PostgreSQL a while back:

http://www.mail-archive.com/django-users@googlegroups.com/msg70188.html

Most of the issues still stand -- though I understand MySQL now
has native(ish) support for Geo information (check the GeoDjango
code to see if it supports the MySQL Geo implementation -- last I
checked the source it was Oracle & PostgreSQL only).

To answer your direct question, PostgreSQL has long-standing
support for all kinds of crazy sub-queries.  MySQL has added most
of those abilities over time.  This used to be a deal-breaker for
me, making Postgres the clear winner.  Now they're about even.

Lastly, my closing arguments in that link still stand -- if you
don't have a pressing need to choose one or the other, code &
test for both.

-tim