Wow, that's a cool trick to be able to implement stored procedures in
different languages. I might actually use them more if I could do everything
in the same language as the application.
I only looked quickly through the PostgreSQL docs for subqueries. Thanks for
the heads up.

As far as the Gis functionality goes, I could see a database like that
needing some serious horse power if it became popular. Any thoughts on how
that would reconcile with the weakness in replication? I suppose most Gis
systems are more for out put than input so the slow replication might not
really matter that much.