So then the answer to my question is "no", you do not have a file
inlines.py in a directory named "templatetags" which is itself in an
app directrory recognizable by the presence of a models.py, the path
such that the models.py file is importable as appname.models, and the
app mentioned in INSTALLED_APPS.  Since those are the only places the
loader will look for the "inlines" tag library, it won't find one.