Ramiro, great work on this! With your second patch I'm back in
business - with optgroups!

On a related matter, I don't often want a "blank" option when I use
choices/selects. I've been setting default selections and eliminating
the "blank" line as described on 11/07/07 by semenov in #4653 using a
combination of an explicit blank=False and a declared default value.
Under 1.1.1, this worked even when the field was disabled by
JavaScript (disabled because it was only conditionally required). I
had assumed that the default value was sent along to the database, but
don't really care. There was a big debate over what the convention for
"no blank choice" should be in #4653.

Now, using the development version, I can say blank=True, define a
default and get no blank option for some fields, while with other
fields with the same, identical model attribute structure yields a
select with the blank option. The only difference being that the
former group have "choices=something, required=False" in the model
form. Is the new convention that required=False in the model form
means no blank choice? This is wholly illogical to me.

Do you think this is an oversight? Is this new state of affairs
documented somewhere? Do you think it warrants a ticket?

Thanks for all your help.

Tom