Well, where are things happening?  Do you make a new request for each
click, or do you want the changes to appear without a browser reload?

If the former, the ability to customize seems to imply a model representing
a choice, with a foreign key on the same model, allowing it to specify of
which choice it is a sub choice, giving you a blah_set queryset.  It can
contain whatever additional info you need, obviously.  Then the buttons
can be submit buttons of the form with the select representing the choice,
with various values, so you know which button, and the view will interpret
the buttons in the context of the selected choice.  That is, look up the
choice which contains info about what to do for each button.

If the latter, that's a bunch of javascript, and yes, you need to manage
the connections somewhere, but you don't want to be doing many DB
queries every time you load the page, so you probably want to cache
the tree, probably in a class variable (in RAM) on startup and whenever
the configuration is changed (via a custom form which you must be staff,
or whatever to view and submit, not part of the admin app).

Or I may still be completely misunderstanding your problem.

Bill