On 10/24/18 10:04 AM, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-10-24 at 11:37 -0400, Martin K. Petersen wrote:
>> Mike,

>>> I've always felt the proper order is how Jens likes it too (all dm
>>> commits from me follow that order).
>>
>> That's fine, I don't have any particular preference. And I don't have
>> any issue with you guys sticking to a certain ordering in your
>> respective subsystems. I occasionally shuffle tags when I commit things
>> in SCSI too.
>>
>> I just think it should be properly documented if there is a preferred
>> way to order things...
>
> When I tried to look up documentation for this I couldn't find anything under
> the Documentation directory. Maybe it's there but I didn't look carefully
> enough. All I could find on the web is e-mails from Linus in which he explains
> that the order of Signed-off-by's should match the chain of authorship.

I don't think there's any documentation on it, none that I've seen.
Haven't looked for it, though.

It's more of a "it always looked like that", until we got patchwork messing
things up. And then people see that, and do the same. It's a bit
frustrating. I like to be able to see the SOB chain in a patch, and if
it's intermingled with other things, it's much harder to read. At least
for me.

I'll continue fixing these up, but I do hope that at least the regulars
on the block side use the proper formatting.

--
Jens Axboe