>If I understand you correctly, even though zones don't matter to how I
>create the records, the zones could be a useful tool for me delegating
>management of the records. If I have one set of records for example.com
>in one organization and another set of exhibit records in New
>Jersey.example.com managed by my organization then I can manage the
>records independent of the parent organization.

If that's the way your name servers are set up, sure.  There's no
general answer about what's easier since it depends on how your DNS
provisioning is set up.

>Are there any collisions between the DMARC records configuritions in the
>parent domain versus a subdomain that I need to worry about?

There shouldn't be.  The point of using the _dmarc prefix name is that it
shouldn't conflict with anything else.

>my interpretation of what I've read leads me to believe I'm better off
>keeping all of the header addresses in the same domain and using a
>reply-to to direct responses to a real human instead of trying to make
>the from: address the humans address.

Again, it depends on how your system is set up.  Assuming you control
the inbound MTAs for your domain, you should be able to route the incoming
replies to the From: addresses wherever you need to.

R's,
John