Franck Martin writes:

 > Hard Bounce: "no such mailbox/user/email address here" (SMTP
 > enhanced status code, like 5.1.1), usually a permanent failure
 > Soft Bounce: "there may be a valid mailbox/user/email address here,
 > but we are not accepting this email" (SMTP enhanced status code
 > like 5.7.1), a permanent or temporary failure

That's not the terminology we use around Mailman: a "hard bounce" is
exactly a "permanent failure".  I'll keep it in mind that you at least
use the term differently here.

Nor is the "soft bounce" as you define it useful if it is permanent
(5.x.x).  Even if the site admits it's a policy bounce, you have to
parse the error text in hope of determining whether there's something
wrong with the message (the next message might go through, even from
the same author), or if the receiver doesn't like the mailing list
(messages aren't going to go through period) or doesn't like the
author (the next message might or might not go through, depending on
the author).  And usually it's useless for the purpose, so has to be
passed on to the site admin for forensic analysis.

And even that doesn't help with sites that deliberately don't use
appropriate codes.  I don't really see that (from a protocol
standpoint) we're any better off than we were before the enhanced
status codes for the purpose of determining whether to stop mail to or
unsubscribe a bouncing address.