On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 3:33 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy <superu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 3:17 PM, Brandon Long <bl...@google.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 10:07 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy <
>> superu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> [snip]

>>> They could be added to A-R, in theory, but they're not really
>>> user-consumable which is why they were originally omitted.
>>>

>> Thinking some more on this while thinking about the format of the DMARC
>> report, I think we should consider it.
>>
>> The AuthRes header was meant to help pass information to the end user (or
>> their mail client) from their own mail system.
>>
>> The AAR header is meant to pass information from each hop to all of the
>> following hops, and meant mostly (at this point) to inform the DMARC
>> handling of the message.
>>
>> And part of the point of DMARC is informing admins/domain owners on how
>> their mail is being evaluated to help them get to stricter levels.
>> [...]
>>

> The original intent of selectors and domain names, going back to
> DomainKeys, was that selectors would be used to identify a key, and the
> domain name would be used to identify the source, or responsible party,
> regarding a message.  Selectors can be rotated in and out of service for a
> given domain name without changing the domain name.  Reputation, therefore,
> would be developed about the domain name (the "d=") specifically.
> Selectors were orthongonal.
>
> Based on discussions with Seth and Gene earlier, it sounds like the
> industry has sadly not taken up the habit of key and selector rotation, and
> instead the pairing of "s=" and "d=" now identifies a single source.
> Ignoring the obvious security problem this introduces, we're now talking
> about implicitly formalizing this tuple as identifying a source.  This
> contradicts that original intent.  In particular, if one were to develop
> reputation in this way, then a key being rotated out takes the reputation
> with it; signers would have to establish some procedure for doing so with
> substantial overlap so that the new key can be "warmed".  Worse, in an
> emergency where a key is compromised, that tuple's reputation irretrievably
> suffers.
>
> How is this better than encouraging the industry to adopt the separation
> of functions that was originally intended?

The *only* intent here is to report back services that break authentication
to the domain owner in a DMARC report. As such, the selector disambiguates
services (especially when there are multiple hops, some of which might have
the same d=) and allows a reporter to make a clear determination to a
report consumer of where authentication failed so that a service can be
properly configured in SPF or with DKIM.

In many cases, this process is ambiguous or impossible without the
inclusion of selectors. This adds demonstrable value for a consumer of
DMARC reports where mail is indirectly delivered.

This solves a real problem now, and has nothing to do with reputation which
would be silly to build on top of this tuple for the reasons you've
outlined.

Seth