On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 6:05 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy <superu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think this presupposes that there's some connective tissue between, but
> distinct from, the DMARC report generator and the ARC implementation.  Do
> we have to presume that, or is it enough to make space for it in the DMARC
> report, and then not specify how that information goes from one component
> to the next?  Then an operator can decide how to move that information
> between those two components however it sees fit, and there's no need to
> rub up against A-R's intended use (which I would argue doesn't include
> relaying selectors downstream).

So this is a very fair comment. But I think it's deeply problematic.

In the case of a direct mail flow, the receiver has all the needed
information from the SMTP connection and A-R payload to create a report.
None of this information is present once a message arrives at a receiver in
an indirect manner.

I would strenuously argue the charter's call for "eliminating the DMARC's
effects on indirect mail flows" requires that reporting - which is the
fundamental feedback mechanism for a sender - work properly under said
fixes. This is impossible for a receiver to do without ARC passing the
information along. And ARC has this transmission mechanism in its AAR, but
we need to make sure the appropriate information is in it.