On 5/20/2020 10:01 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

So, from a product design standpoint, for immediate consumer "pay
off," at the very least, csv should be the default option, not XML.

You're several years too late on deciding a default.

DMARC is informational, not a proposed standard. My confused understanding of the RFC7489 informational status DMARC draft, it has removed the IANA registered "rf=" report format tag, continues to describe the afrf and iodef format. But the XML schema is described as the report format? Sound there is a lot of clean up to do. We haven't even discussed 3rd party policy support. DMARC PS can not ignore it. The rewrite kludge is not a preferred and acceptable concept.

If I understand your proposal correctly, everyone would still need to
implement XML ("At a minimum, XML is what publisher (or report handler) will
get").  If there's no avoiding implementing XML (which is what I thought the
original point was), why would this need to be defined now?  It seems like it
could easily be added later if there was a significant demand signal.

But XML was added unofficially? As I pointed out, Google doesn't even mention the "rf=" tag and just described reports are in XML format.

If that is the decision for the initial DMARC proposed standard, I am fine with the XML default, but it would be simple to add an optional "prf=" tag with additional report format IANA registered well known acronyms namely csv, json. XML will be registered for the PS so I am suggesting to also register csv and json with optional implementation semantics.

This may give verifiers (new or PS updated), preparedness to recognize the "prf=" tag for future support. You are correct. The "prf=" can alway be added but the format tags won't be registered. Another RFC to cover the registration.

Thanks Scoot,  I hope all is safe for you and family.

--
HLS