On Wednesday, January 26, 2022 12:30:01 PM EST Seth Blank wrote:
> Yes, this is a core ticket that needs to be addressed:
> https://trac.ietf.org/trac/dmarc/ticket/46
>
> I believe right now the group is just dialing in the definition/text, but
> there has been broad agreement (I don't remember hearing any disagreement,
> but I wouldn't go so far as to call it consensus yet) that everything
> related to organizational domain discovery should be moved into a separate
> document.

In RFC 7489, the organizational domain does two things relative to policy:

1.  It provides a top point for checking relaxed alignment.

2.  If provides policy for cases where the From domain does not have a DMARC
record.

In recent discussions around organizational domain, we have mostly been
discussing the first point, but if this is carved off into a separate draft,
then the second point needs to go with it as they are intimately connected in
RFC 7489.

If the chairs want a separate document, I'd be glad to take a shot at drafting
it.

Scott K