> Absolutely a false assertion. When browser providers decided to stop
> supporting HTTP and only support HTTPS, there were websites not
> reachable that people wanted to reach. That is the very definition of
> broken interoperability. Websites that wanted to be reached (which
> hadn't already switched) needed to switch to HTTPS in order to remain
> reachable.

What browsers have "stop[ped] supporting HTTP and only support HTTPS"?
 I use Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge, and they all support HTTP.
Browsers now prefer HTTPS and will flag sites that don't use it, but
they won't refuse to go to them.

There is a problem, to be sure, if a domain advertises HSTS and then
doesn't talk HTTPS -- yes, the browsers will all refuse to visit those
-- but that's a mis-configuration and is the fault of the web site,
not an interoperability issue.

Barry