On Saturday, April 8, 2023 9:49:24 AM EDT John Levine wrote:
> It appears that Seth Blank  <s...@valimail.com> said:
> >So how do we handle this? What’s the worst case? Looking at the above
> >example, the longest “complex org” would be 5 labels long. I think we’ve
> >already agreed, backed by data from the PSL, that the longest PSD would be
> >4 labels long. ...
> >
> >To be clear, due to the current policy discovery mechanics (check author
> >domain then jump to organizational domain), I'm not aware of any of these
> >complex orgs setting dmarc policies on Author Domains at such a depth. i.e.
> >N=5 today would not break anything currently in place. However, the tree
> >walk now enables these complex orgs to set policy much deeper in their
> >hierarchy, which would then potentially not work as expected and possibly
> >send reports to the wrong destination due to the current N=5.
>
> I wouldn't object to 7 but I would like to see a stronger justification than
> "nobody needs it now but someone might want it later."

I've been considering my reply to Seth's original email (and was about to
write it when this came in).  Ultimately, I think Seth's concern isn't a DMARC
problem since it's really an internal organizational routing problem.  As I
understand the issue, Seth's concern isn't that reports aren't sent, but that
they will not go to the right part of a super complex organization.  I don't
think that's a problem we should try to solve.

I think we can prove up to 5 is needed, so going a little further as a
mitigation for future uncertainty is OK, but I agree we should have more than
hand waving to get beyond that.  I'm not certain we need to change it, but 6
or 7 is something I could live with.

Scott K