On Mon, Apr 10, 2023 at 8:15 AM John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:

> > For certain
> >constrained but hopefully reasonable scenarios of mailing list
> >modifications, we might be able to distinguish the sources of content.
>
> People have been suggesting this forwver, but it really doesn't scale.
> There are a lot more list hosts with a lot more configurations that
> any of us have individually ever seen. In many cases they add or
> rewrite MIME parts which is extremely hard to unwind enough to see if
> a DKIM signature would have been valid.

I have to agree.  For as many times as this notion has been proposed, it's
never been given serious consideration, and this is the reason: We can't
possibly describe all the MLM mutations that exist, even if the mechansim
for doing so is made extensible.

I think the one thing we haven't discussed is: Could the 80-20 rule apply
here?  That is, if we start off with something like what
draft-kucherawy-dkim-transform proposed (or even a trivial subset of it),
might it make enough of a dent to get us through this stalemate, and then
we can figure out what to do with the rest of it?

-MSK, participating