On Mon, Apr 10, 2023 at 8:15 AM John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:

> It appears that Wei Chuang  <wei...@google.com> said:
> >1) We know that a sender intends to send a message down some path that may
> >include a mailing list, that got to me safely.  This is to avoid DKIM
> >replay and FROM spoofing attacks.
>
> I think we can do that by looking at the To/Cc addresses to check if
> they include the list that forwarded the mail.

+1 One approach might be to chain together recipients/sender pairs across
forwarders, and sign the recipients. (Another approach might be to tie
together SMTP transactions between sending-service/receiving-service pairs)

> >2) That we can identify the contributors to the content of the message in
> >that path to distinguish malicious vs benign contributors.
>
> Isn't that what ARC is for? You can look back through the list headers
> to see what the state of the message was like on the way in. While I
> am not a fan of applying DMARC policies to the output of forwarders
> like mailing lists, they work to filter inbound mail to a list.

With ARC and a modifying mailing list, we hopefully will see that an
expected DKIM-signature fails and hopefully at least a terminating
ARC-Message-Signature that passes.  With these tools, the receiver isn't
able to see which part of the message was contributed by the sender vs the
mailing list.   If there's spammy content, the receiver can't distinguish
which party contributed to that content, then so has to attribute that
spammy content to both parties, but at the cost of harming the innocent
one.  Despite that issue I should mention that ARC/DMARC still helps us in
knowing who your sender is, which is helpful.

-Wei