> On 14 Apr 2023, at 18:38, Alessandro Vesely <ves...@tana.it> wrote:
>
> On Wed 12/Apr/2023 13:41:16 +0200 Laura Atkins wrote:
>>> On 12 Apr 2023, at 12:21, Douglas Foster
>>> <dougfoster.emailstanda...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Any form of security creates inconvenience.
>> Yes. And we make tradeoffs between that. In this case, the security is
>> ensuring that users at specific domains can and should only send mail
>> through approved channels managed by those domains. Many users have violated
>> those security policies, by participating in mailing lists. This caused
>> problems for other folks on the mailing lists - as they were the ones
>> removed from the list due to the security policy. The lists responded by
>> rewriting. This causes yet more inconvenience to other subscribers and,
>> additionally, allows the users to bypass their domain security policy.
>> I am not seeing how this creates an arena of security.
>

> Security is not From: munging.  That's the workaround that security requires.

No security (at least in the viewpoint of some people) is using a p=reject for
mail from their domain. In that context, From: munging is actively subverting
the security  settings of domains.

>>> Based on the header rewriting done by IETF, I have a hard time seeing how
>>> its rewrite of Comcast addresses can cause any of the problems that you
>>> cite.
>> That’s how the IETF rewrites, it’s not how everyone rewrites.
>
> Couldn't the IETF say how to rewrite?

There’s currently a deployed base where there are many different ways to munge.
"It is a _fact_.”

>>> But does your domain require even headers to be rewritten?    Why doesn't
>>> IETF ask you, and omit rewrite if that is what your domain wants?
>> Because that doesn’t scale for the IETF.
>
> Mailman options do scale.  From: rewriting is going to fade off by first
> allowing single subscribers to disable it, for the posts
> directed to them, after their MX set up some kind of agreement with the MLM.

The _fact_ still remains that From: rewriting is actively subverting the
security of domains that choose to publish p=reject.

>>> It is hard for me to cry over mailing lists when they cannot ensure that a
>>> post comes from the asserted poster and they cannot adapt their DMARC
>>> defenses to the preferences of the recipient domains.   Life is hard.   It
>>> only gets harder if I wait for someone else to solve problems that I can
>>> solve myself.
>> I don’t understand how header rewriting ensures the authenticity of a
>> poster. Given the data is being modified by the MLM, it seems to me that
>> rewriting compounds the problem.
>

> It doesn't.  The authenticity should be checked on entry.  THIS IS ABUSE post
> had dkim=fail by ietfa.amsl.com, but they didn't bother rejecting for that,
> which is what they should have done.  We are suffering all the damage caused
> by DMARC but don't enjoy any of the advantages it could bring.

I encourage you to think very hard about why, after more than a decade, we
still don’t see any of the advantages to DMARC.

laura

--
The Delivery Experts

Laura Atkins