On 8/5/2023 4:23 PM, Neil wrote:
> The language used for DMARC has always been problematic. "Policy"

> implies control, but the domain owner has no control over the receiving
> platform.  Quarantine and Reject declare control that also does not exist.

Suppose you set a policy of p=reject that’s still your policy even if receivers aren’t obligated to honor your policy. But it’s a policy nonetheless. It’s not required that a policy be followed for it to be policy. That aside, there’s unlikely to be another word that works better than’s worth any confusion or disruption that could be caused by changing the jargon.

www.dictionary.com

Policy Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com <#>

Policy definition, a definite course of action adopted for the sake of expediency, facility, etc.: We have a new company policy. See more.

🔗 https://www.dictionary.com/browse/policy <https://www.dictionary.com/browse/policy>

 Also, we understand who our audiences are in reality. Sometimes it’ll be a harried admin skimming the RFC, and others will take the time to do a deep dive. Even the harried admin scanning today might want to dive deep when he has more time. So out of respect for those who want to get things done and solve problems quickly and those who wish to grok the new DMARC spec, I think the optimal solution would be to follow E.B. White, making every word count, having empathy for the reader, and avoiding distractions that could bog the stressed reader down.

When writing specifications, yes, it is good to consider the casual or harried reader.  To that end, vocabulary should not mislead.  'Policy' misleads about the effect of choosing a particular value.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
dcroc...@gmail.com