Hi,

Le 23/10/2023 à 19:59, Alessandro Vesely a écrit :
My opinion is that Barry's text is good as is.  As far as delimiting a SHOULD NOT with another SHOULD is legit, this sentence sounds clear to me:

      It is therefore critical that domains that host users who might
      post messages to mailing lists SHOULD NOT publish p=reject. Domains
      that choose to publish p=reject SHOULD implement policies that
      their users not post to Internet mailing lists.

The exceptions to the latter SHOULD are rather obvious.  Do we really need to formally specify domain policing?

I for one would be interested in hearing what you believe those exceptions are. When reading your aggressive next paragraph, I'm lead to think that in your view, "technologies dating from the 80s deserve no respect" is reason enough to break both SHOULDs.

There may be rough consensus for a good faith SHOULD, but definitely not for overt disrespect of interoperability in the name of some brave new "today's reality".

Cheers,
Baptiste

My perception is that Section 8.6 puts the issue in very clear terms. It is even overly clearly and thoroughly explained for average readers. Only IETF purists longing for email as it was in the 80s consider it important to point out how DMARC is unjustly oppressing email forwarding, including mailing lists.  The rest of the world just use it as needed.  In today's reality, we should just move forward, and devise further protocols to fix forwarding after DMARCbis is out.

By contrast, the last paragraph of Section 7.6 contradict this point and should be removed.

Best