More specifically to the asserted charter problem:

RFC 7489 provided a universally applicable rule for determining
organizational boundaries: the PSL.
Then it provided a universally applicable rule for determining
authentication:   relaxed alignment, same organization for the verified
identifier and the FROM domain.

Despite starting from that point, RFC 7489 arbitrarily limited
applicability to messages with DMARC policies, which is its core design
failure.   Reversing that mistake is part of what DMARCbis needs to do.

Doug