On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 10:55 AM Dotzero <dotz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem with relying on the Sender header is that unless a Sender
> header matches the right hand side (domain) of the email address in the
> From field, you can't tell if there is a legitimate relationship between
> Sender and From.
>
> I think the correct approach is for DMARC to recognize this is a very tiny
> corner case that very rarely shows up in the real world and ignore it.

As an individual, I concur. DMARC is about aligning authentication to the
domain in the From. This doesn't make sense / gets far more complicated if
there are multiple domains in the From.

My two cents, loosely held: I think it's best to explicitly carve out, not
as a corner case, but as something explicitly disallowed. The same way
multiple DMARC records means no DMARC record, multiple Froms in a message
should mean that no DMARC PASS can be generated.

Seth

> Michael Hammer

*Seth Blank * | Chief Technology Officer
*e:* s...@valimail.com
*p:*

This email and all data transmitted with it contains confidential and/or
proprietary information intended solely for the use of individual(s)
authorized to receive it. If you are not an intended and authorized
recipient you are hereby notified of any use, disclosure, copying or
distribution of the information included in this transmission is prohibited
and may be unlawful. Please immediately notify the sender by replying to
this email and then delete it from your system.