On Wed 27/Mar/2024 13:17:57 +0100 Matthäus Wander wrote:
Alessandro Vesely wrote on 2024-03-27 10:00:

I'm not clear what will that schema be used for, if at all.  Personally, the only reason why I'd prefer the long regex is because it might have some value by itself.  The short one is cleaner and more grokkable.  The wrong one has none of those qualities.

I see the following use cases for the schema (sorted from most to least important):

1) Provide a precise description to implementers (of both report senders and receivers) how a report should look like.

2) Allow report senders to verify the correctness of their implementation.

3) Allow report receivers to perform input validation before ingesting a report.

I guess (3) bears the least important because report receivers don't care about the schema and just look for the elements they recognize. If the schema were to be continuously used several times a day, simplifying would be a must.

Best