On 1 Apr 2024, at 9:26, Todd Herr wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 1, 2024 at 12:17 PM Tim Wicinski <tjw.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have to agree with Seth's comments that "security teams believe an SPF
>> hard fail is more secure".
>> I've been on the receiving end of that discussion more than once.
>>
>> Also, can we reference those two M3AAWG documents ?  That seems like
>> operational guidance.
>>

> I'm digesting the threads for the purpose of preparing tickets to track the
> work, and I suspect one of the tickets will include, "Add reference to the
> following two M3AAWG documents":
>
>    1.
>
> https://www.m3aawg.org/sites/default/files/m3aawg_managing-spf_records-2017-08.pdf
>    2.
>
> https://www.m3aawg.org/sites/default/files/m3aawg-email-authentication-recommended-best-practices-09-2020.pdf

These are useful documents.

The second one seems to be saying that the recommended action for
intermediaries is to use ARC, and doesn’t mention address rewriting. I have
some concerns about whether enough receivers interpret ARC header fields for
that to be viable, but that seems to be a better solution than address
rewriting. To echo Murray’s comment, should DMARC-bis reference ARC?

-Jim