Hell Charlie,

First, of course it’s ok to forward and thank you for sharing it for DMM list.

Yes, I think that many operators have met various requirements for networks
which are supporting mobile user-plane nowadays.

My understanding is that mobility management itself is a bit complicated system
so that it is important that keep it simple as much as possible in terms of
mobility management. So other features should be isolated or modulated as an
independent pluggable feature into the system. I can see that concept in
current cellular mobile systems and also in the Rel-15 control-plane SBA which
indicates that concept more explicitly IMO.

But when we see the user-plane, modulated concept that features in addition to
mobility management have decoupled horizontally to deploy in where like Gi-LAN,
and vertically decoupled in underlying layers, like VPWS/VPLS on top of
pseudo-wires and MPLS TE(TP)-LSPs. You can see them in the E-Line/E-LAN spec in
MEF to provide backhaul connectivity services for MNOs. So, the outcome in the
user-plane has been well complicated as you find in the picture.

I’ve learned that even the control-plane protocols and functions are modulated
to keep mobility management simple, almost those actual services are
implemented in the data-plane network(s). Otherwise, those are useless. IMO to
simplify whole data-plane while mobility management still be simple (ironic?),
mobile user-plane need to be capable to integrate rest of data-plane roles into
it.

# I use the term ‘data-plane’ here in more generic while ‘user-plane’ means
mobility tunnel specifically.

Actually there's rest of the story of that picture. If we have plenty ID space
in one single data-plane layer to represent all required feature including
mobility, there’s no need to employ additional layers and horizontally
decoupling. This is my background thought for the SRv6 mobile user-plane I-D.
SRv6 is able to represent network functions as an 128bits ID or a set of IDs.
So it enable us to simplify the data-plane by integrating all required
functions into one IPv6 layer.

IMO What specific functions are required is not argument here, what integration
mechanism we really need for our solution would be a trigger we embark. Of
course I believe that it is SRv6.

Cheers,
--satoru