From: dmm <dmm-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of Tom Herbert <t...@quantonium.net>
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 12:30 AM
To: Luca Muscariello
Cc: Luca Muscariello (lumuscar); dmm
Subject: Re: [DMM] New draft posted: Anchorless mobility management through
hICN (hICN-AMM): Deployment options

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 1:50 PM, Luca Muscariello
<luca.muscarie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The paragraph you reported is from the draft that describes hICN to enable
> several use cases.
> Mobility is one of those, not the only one.
> To clarify, the draft on hICN mobility deployment options focuses on the 5G
> service based architecture.
>
> You may be asking
> 1) is it possible to get all the features provided by hICN w/o updates to
> the transport layer?
> 2) is changing the transport protocol unnecessary difficult to enable all
> the use cases mentioned in the draft?

Sorry, but I'm still missing something fundamental here. AFAICT, the
idea of hICN is to put routes in the local routing table and use
existing forwarding and routing to forward packets to mobile nodes. So
if a node changes location, then the routing tables need to be
updated. Effectively this is a bunch of host routes that need to be
maintained.

GC/ That is a misunderstanding here, hICN mobility management is not based on
routing updates/host routes to be maintained. There is no routing of data back
to the users, rather data packets follow reverse path of requests.  Hopefully
the publication of the yet-to-be-published hICN mobility draft will clarify
that, but just to summarize here, the basic idea of hICN is

1) routing/forwarding based on location-independent identifiers (ICN's idea)
encoded into IP addresses (the h in hICN)
2) connectionless request/reply transport model : only known end-point is the
receiver, source(s) is(are) dynamically discovered, path is a priori unknown
3) richer forwarding exploiting lookup-by-name features in buffer (for caching,
request aggregation,/multicast, in network congestion control etc) and dynamic
hop-by-hop decisions based on name-based forwarding strategies

Mobility advantages come from all three points above: consumer mobility is
handled by design (no change to host routes, data flow back on the reverse path
of requests), producer mobility can be handled through localized forwarding
updates (MapMe protocol described in hICN drafts is one possibility) at a much
faster timescale than that of routing updates and without requiring any UP/CP
anchor.

Since it does not rely on routing updates such approach can minimize latency
and track producer (while cached copies are not enough) in realtime at network
latency but also support infrastructure-less communication when needed.

Name/location binding, route re-computation, tunneling, anchoring are not done
here.

Coexistance with existing CP and transparent interconnection  with the rest of
infrastructure is accounted by design in the h of hICN (described in the hICN
draft), benefits/costs wrt hICN deployment penetration is discussed in the
deployment options draft, but in all cases we assume 1)-2)-3) in hICN-enabled
endpoints.
Of course you could think about partial integration of ICN into IP that keep
pieces of it (eg naming/forwarding) neglecting others (transport as you say):
as explained in the draft that comes at the cost of losing many advantages as
showed by previous work, so we do not recommend it.

Hope it help clarify your doubts.

Giovanna