From: Tom Herbert [mailto:t...@quantonium.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 12:12 PM
To: Uma Chunduri <uma.chund...@huawei.com>
Cc: Arashmid Akhavain <arashmid.akhav...@huawei.com>; Pablo Camarillo
(pcamaril) <pcama...@cisco.com>; spr...@ietf.org; dmm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [DMM] Comment on SRv6-mobile-userplane

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 8:56 AM, Uma Chunduri <uma.chund...@huawei.com> wrote:
> Tom,
>
>         >I think the terminology being used in the draft might be making this
> seem complicated than it actually is. AFAICT, SRv6 traditional mode is
> nothing more than IP in IP encapsulation, so the requirement of the underlay
> is that it
>                 >forwards IPv6 and intermediate nodes treat the traffic as
> "normal IPv6 traffic". There is no segment routing involved, no extension
> headers needed, and the only upgrade for the network is to support IPv6.
>
> I am not sure that is the case. Please re-read Section 5.1 (and 5.1.3)
>         " This 1-for-1 mapping is
>                    replicated here to replace the GTP encaps with the SRv6
> encaps, while
>                    not changing anything else."

Uma,

Right, there is where the terminology of the draft is confusing. SRv6 defines a
routing extension header not an encapsulation protocol.

[Uma]: Agree.

"SRv6 encaps" here means IP packets (presumably either IPv4 or IPv6) are
encapsulated in IPv6 using standard IP/IP encpasulation.

[Uma]: Sure. But, I think, I would see
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bogineni-dmm-optimized-mobile-user-plane-01
folks speak.  As of now, one should go by what's there in this draft.

Concurrent with that encapsulation, a segment routing header or other extension
headers may be added to the outer IP header (this is consistent with RFC8200
requirement that only source nodes can set extension headers). So there is
really no such thing as SRv6 encapsulation, and in the text above replacing
SRv6 with IP-in-IP would be much clearer as to how the protocol works.

[Uma]: If we just replace SRv6 with IP-in-IP (IPv6) - I am not sure what's
being achieved and how that encapsulation is relevant  to this draft?

Tom