On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 10:46 AM, Arashmid Akhavain
<arashmid.akhav...@huawei.com> wrote:
> 100% Agree with you Tom. And these are type of questions we need to answer
> when we talk about GTP replacement. The control plane in today's mobile core
> sets up the tunnel and ensure the uniformity of QoS in
> both forward and backward path.

Hi Arashmid,

FAST should be orthogonal to the issue of GTP replacement and is
agnostic to underlying RAN protocols. It's implemented at the IP layer
and the network services it conveys can be supported by a network in
an arbitrary fashion.

> Can you elaborate on using FAST?  FAST on UPFs?

The basic idea of FAST is that hosts (UE) requests tickets from a
"ticket agent" in their local network. The request is an abstract
description of desired services (like low latency, low jitter for
1080p video chat). The ticket agent sends back a "ticket" that encodes
the services the network has granted. The ticket is opaque to the
application and anyone else outside of the network provider. The
application attaches the ticket to its packets (in IPv6 HBH options)
and sends them normally otherwise. At the first hop node in the
network, the ticket is decoded by the network. Appropriate services
are applied (e.g. set DSCP, set QoS, send into a tunnel or slice,
etc.). The packet makes it's way to the destination with the ticket
attached. The destination saves the ticket in it's context for
communication. When the remote server replies, it attaches saved
tickets as a "reflected tickets". When the return packet enters the
client's network of the client, a node decodes the ticket and maps it
to the right services for transit the provider networks back the UE.

There are lot of details: like how to keep overhead low, how to make
this secure ans stateless, how to limit scope of sensitive
information, how to deal with paths that block HBH options. Please
take a look at the FAST draft
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-herbert-fast and white paper
https://github.com/quantonium/papers/blob/master/FAST.pdf

Tom