>
> I didn't find any /etc/xinetd.d files that refer to nntp or port
> 119. I've confirmed that Dnews is listening on the port by
> telneting to it and getting:
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 200 calvin DNEWS Version 5.5d1, S0, posting OK
>
> I also just tried starting up Dnews without xinetd running and
> the nntp connections still failed, so perhaps it's not xinetd
> at all. I mainly suspected it, since it did prevent sendmail
> from working, until I created an xinetd.d file for smtp.
>
> I'm also running some other stuff on the box, so I'll try this
> on a plain vanilla Redhat 7.1 and then add the other stuff.
>
> Any other ideas?
>

It could be the linux firewall features mis configured,  use this command:

  /sbin/ipchains -L

        ChrisP.


> Dave Silvestro
>
> "NetWin Support Auckland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> I'm having trouble after upgrade to the latest Redhat linux, which
> >> uses xinetd, instead of inetd.
> >>
> >> NNTP clients cannot connect to the server and a downstream server
> >> can't suck news.
> >>
> >> The available information on xinetd is sketchy. Has anybody
> >> encountered this problem before?
> >>
> >> Here are the dnews.log entries from the downsteam system:
> >> 24 15:25:21.610 1:info: (Connection refused) nntp: Socket closed,
> >errno=111 calvin.
> >> tivoli.com
> >> 24 15:25:21.610 1:info: (Connection refused) nntp_perror: socket_read
> >failed
> >> 24 15:25:21.610 1:info: nntp: Closing socket chan[1] 13
calvin.tivoli.com
> >> 24 15:25:21.610 1:info: chan: Currently 1 users from (noarea)
> >> 24 15:25:21.610  :info: suck: Drat channel closed or failed to open
> >properly or
> >> timed out
> >>
> >
> >It sounds like you have the default nntp server responding on the port,
look
> >in /etc/xinetd.d for an NNTP
> >file that might be starting something and disable or remove it.
> >
> >    ChrisP.
> >
> >
> >
>


Reply via email to