Hi,
The Web site containing the matrix is unavailable, so I'm unable to check
the results you're seeing against what I think dnews should be doing. You
also haven't given details of how it fails (I'll assume that is on your
matrix page too).
It looks like your problem might be simply the use of 'add' rules. An 'add'
rule actually means "Give this user group access to these newsgroups, and
take access away from anyone else who doesn't match the rule".
In the example below -
## PROTECTED GROUPS
*:read,post:,groups=down::*down*:add
*:read,post:,groups=deltacomp::delta.*,comp.*:add
*:read,post:,groups=up::*up*:add
Users who are in the group down will be given access to *down*, and in the
next line, users in deltacomp will be given access to delta.* and comp.*,
but access to delta.down, and comp.down will then be taken away from the
down group because they match the new add rule.
To give access on a per user group basis, remove the add extension. You can
also use 'addonly', which means add this access to this group, but don't
take it away from others.
Hope this helps, please let us know if you're still unable to get it working
as desired.
- Roydon L.
----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: netwin.dnews
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2002 12:29 PM
Subject: Access.conf NOT producing desired result! (long post)
>
> (IMPORTANT!! EXPLANATION BELOW RELIES ON VIEWING
> WITH MONO-SPACED FONT SUCH AS COURIER)
>
> HOST INFORMATION:
> Windows 2000 Pro Service Pack 2
> DNews 5.5h2
>
> CLIENT INFORMATION:
> Windows NT 4.00.1381
> OE 6.00.2600.0000
>
> This is a long post so please bare with me. I decided on the long route
so that I could be thorough and provide readers with enough information to
see what I had done. A resulting matrix can be found at the end of the post
and below this paragraph. (Verified in Internet Explorer, not sure if
Netscape will render tabular matrix properly) I encluded a link to an EXCEL
spreadsheet for those whom the html doesn't show up correctly.
>
> MATRIX: http://www.angelfire.com/il2/rjfrisby/
>
>
> PLEASE VIEW IN MONO-SPACED FONT
> ================================================================
> SCENARIO:
> ================================================================
> [ A.1 ]--> I have 16 groups composed of four prefix and four
> suffix combinations:
> PREFIXES: alt, bin, comp, delta
> SUFFIXES: up, down, left, right
>
>
> [ A.2 ]--> I desire 3 different USER GROUPS with different
> access privileges.
> (Desired Group access in PARENTHESIS)
> <As appears in access.conf>
>
> Group #1: "up" (alt.up, bin.up, comp.up, delta.up)
> Group #2: "down" (alt.down, bin.down, comp.down, delta.down)
> Group #3: "deltacomp" (delta.[up, down, left, right], comp.[up, down,
left, right])
>
> Group #1: "up" *:read,post:,groups=up::*up*:add
> Group #2: "down" *:read,post:,groups=down::*down*:add
> Group #3: "deltacomp" *:read,post:,groups=deltacomp::delta.*,comp.*:add
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> [ A.3 ]--> With 3 different PROTECTED GROUPS, there are a total
> of six different order combinations they can appear
> within the access.conf file:
>
> PROTECTED GROUP ORDER #1 up, down, deltacomp
> PROTECTED GROUP ORDER #2 up, deltacomp, down
> PROTECTED GROUP ORDER #3 down, deltacomp, up
> PROTECTED GROUP ORDER #4 down, up, deltacomp
> PROTECTED GROUP ORDER #5 deltacomp, up, down
> PROTECTED GROUP ORDER #6 deltacomp, down, up
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> [ A.4 ]--> I created three users each belonging to one of the
> groups (From USERS.DAT)
>
> usera:$14615.462138:None:*::up
> userb:$11470.281348:None:*::down
> userc:$18925.170324:None:*::deltacomp
>
> ================================================================
> PROCEDURE:
> ================================================================
> [ B.1 ]--> I created 6 text files which were copies of the
> ACCESS.CONF file. Each file's contents were identical
> except for the three lines below [## PROTECTED GROUPS]
> (SEE: Section A.3)
>
>
> ACCESS.CONF #3 of 6 PER A.3 (down, deltacomp, up)
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> ## DO NOT EDIT BY HAND except between the manual parts
> ## User/passwords should be in users.dat rather than this file
> ## UserGroups can be defined in groups.dat
>
> ## DEFAULT RULE
> *:logoff:::*
>
> ## BEGIN MANUAL PART1 - Anything here will be preserved
> ## END MANUAL PART1
>
>
> ## DOMAINS
> *:read,post:$lookup$:$lookup$:!*:users=50,con=10
>
> ## PROTECTED GROUPS
> *:read,post:,groups=down::*down*:add
> *:read,post:,groups=deltacomp::delta.*,comp.*:add
> *:read,post:,groups=up::*up*:add
>
> ## IHAVE FEEDS
>
> ## BEGIN MANUAL PART2 - Anything here will be preserved
> ## END MANUAL PART2
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>
> [ B.2 ]--> I changed access.conf to match combination #1
> [ B.2 ]--> RELOADED tellnews
> [ B.3 ]--> Logged in as usera in Outlook Express
> [ B.4 ]--> Reset Groups and recorded which groups appeared
> [ B.5 ]--> I then did this for userb, and user c and then
> changed the access.conf to match combination #2
> RELOADED tellnews, and logged in as all three users
> until I completed a matrix of resulting groups which
> appeared for each user under each of the six different
> configurations.
>
> ================================================================
> RESULTING MATRIX:
> ================================================================
> SEE: http://www.angelfire.com/il2/rjfrisby/dnews.html
> OR
> SEE: http://www.angelfire.com/il2/rjfrisby/dnmatrix.xls
>
>
> Out of 6 different access.conf files, NOT ONE of them yielded the desired
> result. I am at a complete loss here. Any help would be greatly
appreciated!
>
> Thank you for reviewing this long post, I apologize for it's length, but I
> wanted to be thorough.
>
> -cypher
>