Hi,

I am trying to cut down the NNTP traffic we receive.  We use dnews as
our news server, receiving a live feed from our upstream (who are
running Cyclone).  I would welcome suggestions as to how to do this.

Previously, we have received 25-32G of NNTP traffic per day.  I set
cachedonly to true in /etc/dnews.conf, and traffic seems to have dropped
to 20-23G per day over the last two days.  "tellnews showcached" shows
that we have 89 groups being read by our clients.  dnews.in shows that
we are rejecting a lot of newsgroups.  I would have expected a far
greater drop in received traffic than this.

Perhaps the rejected articles are being sent to us in full and then
rejected?

As far as I know, Cyclone does not support newsreader commands, so
header caching is not an option.  The command set reported by the help
command on Cyclone is: authinfo, check, date, filter, help, ihave, list,
mode, takethis, quit.  Supported modes are filter and stream.

The relevant section of newsfeeds.conf is:
site news1.optus.net.au
        groups
*,!sa.*,!ua.*,!unisa.*,!adel.*,!syd.*,!csiro.*,!alt.test,\
               !dsto.*,!alt.binaries.*
        exclude news1.optus.net.au
        type live
        maxcross 4

dnews.conf contains:

myname yorrell.saard.net
nntp_feeder news1.optus.net.au *,!alt.test,!ua.*
cachedonly true
diskspace 41111
spool /var/spool/news
workarea /var/spool/news/work
history /var/spool/news
xover_dir /var/spool/news/xover
manager news
timezone NZST
mail smtp
df df -k
sendmail /usr/lib/sendmail  -t
too_old 35
report yes
loglvl info
life 20
update_at *5 *
expire_at 5 2
expire_minutes true
expire_any true
config          /usr/local/dnews
logdir          /usr/local/dnews
workarea_min    5
history_min     20
spool_min       10
autoexpire 95
log_ihave true
max_speed       1000000
nntp_xposting   true


Sean Burford
Adelaide University

Reply via email to