At 10:03 AM 6/14/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello, all...
>
>Our news server here at the university I work at runs on an iHave feed. I
>have just successfully configured the server to receive feeds, and using
>the generic active.dat file from the dnews site, it is building message
>databases just fine.
>
>Is there a way to get a grouplist update from an iHave feed? I have
>spoken with the BellSouth outsourced tech for information, and he has
>recommended that we have an "acceptable" list of groups (even though it is
>only about half of their offerings), and that we can just get updates from
>the server. Unfortunately, the only reference I found among the
>documentation was the data about the 'tellnews getgroups' in the context
>of suck feeds.
>
>Thanks in advance for any help you folks may offer.
Yes, try this:
tellnews getgroups upstream.news.server
It will probably not work, but it's worth a try, it works if their system
allows you
to ask for the active file via nntp, about 1/2 of news feeding systems
allow this.
Failing that, you have 3 options:
1) Ask them to send you their active file or give you a place to
ftp it etc, the
answer may be 'no' and or they may really not have one!!
2) You can get 'new' groups, changes etc, by accepting and
processing control
messages from their system, this is configured to happen automatically, but
this only
helps with changes. (this option is basically, do nothing)
3) You could get an active file from someone else who has a more
complete one, and
use tellnews group_merge to merge it into your one.
I recommend option '2' unless you are sure you are missing groups you want.
ChrisP.
>Damon C
------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe send to [EMAIL PROTECTED] a message
containing a single line, unsubscribe
Problems with:
Incoming feed problems: http://netwinsite.com/dnews/feedsin.htm
Access rule problems: http://netwinsite.com/dnews/access.htm
General FAQ: http://netwinsite.com/dnews/faq.htm